It was almost like science fiction.
The fact that last night’s #TChat was about 2011 workplace culture predictions and commentary, and we as pseudo-soothsayers and part-time prophets were locked in a post-economic-apocalyptic vault painting the walls with phosphorescent Twiffiti.
Some of which was right on the bottom line, and some of which was, well, not. Smart, but not.
Here were the questions:
- Q1: Given what you believe to be true – and factual – will 2011 bring more or less net hiring – and why?
- Q2: In 2011 will there be a change in rate of A-player exodus? Why or why not? If yes, initiatives can be taken to improve retention?
- Q3: Will innovation and R&D be taken off life support this year? If yes, what leadership initiatives can be taken to drive it?
- Q4: Leadership development always on the lips of executives, analysts but will this be the year organizations invest? Why or not?
- Q5: Managing greater mobile/contingent workforce appears significant business initiative; what are orgs doing to ensure its success?
- Q6: Social networking will continue to be a critical marketing and recruiting tool, but will the ROI be there?
Some things that struck me were:
- Hiring will pick up (and is), but there just won’t be enough jobs for all those unemployed, and more of the jobs are in emerging economies outside the U.S. Read this and that.
- The contingent workforce will be on the rise.
- Virtual mobility will be on the rise.
- Although no one likes to work for jerks, A-players will only jump if they have viable opportunities to jump to, or they get the entrepreneurial bug.
- Barriers of entry into many markets are so few these days that the companies that want to stay in business never stopped innovating, and investing in R&D, and collaborative partnerships, and marketing, and business development…
I’m telling you — the vault was aglow with prime Twiffiti. You should view the transcript if you have a moment. Over 300 contributors this week, the top 10 of which were:
- @talentculture – 249
- @meghanmbiro – 151
- @KevinWGrossman – 73
- @HRMargo – 67
- @LevyRecruits – 60
- @JeffWaldmanHR – 58
- @IanMondrow – 58
- @dawnrasmussen – 56
- @CyndyTrivella – 55
- @ValueIntoWords – 46
Next Tuesday, January 11, from 5-6 p.m. PT/8-9 p.m. ET, we’re tackling The New Old World of Job Hunting and Hiring.
Now, how do I get this glowing paint off my hands?